RE: Principals

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 18:15:54 PDT

    I donít have a principal; our Director is a big supporter of art education.
    Our education budget is 30% of the overall museum budget that includes most
    of the CAM budget, but not all. The average fine arts museum spends 10% of
    their budget on education. What I really like is he (and all the other
    staff) acknowledges they donít know the CAM kids (our educator is a
    secondary teacher and understands better that the other staff), so I get
    final say about what is appropriate as far as activities set up etc. They
    are not used to looking at an art exhibit and figuring out what items could
    be a choking hazard. We in the last 3 years we have had almost a complete
    turnover in fine arts staff for various reason. I loved the first time the
    new staff members came to hang an exhibit. I sat down on the floor and told
    them they were hanging the exhibit to high. ;-) I kept explaining that the
    audience they were hanging for was shorter than the average adult. They now
    look at the exhibit from a standing adult position and a sitting kid height
    position.

    Kimberly Herbert ( kimberly <kimberly> )
    CAM Administrator