Principals

From: Patricia Knott (pknott)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 16:49:11 PDT

    I HAD a principal like San D described

    My principal supports the art program by contuously praising the students in
    the
    program when walking in the door, by making me an integral part of the
    heirachy
    of the school by insisting that I am on the important committees and making
    no
    major policy decisions without asking my opinion, by allowing my colleague
    and I
    to try anything and do most anything, by trusting us.

    Unfortunately he is gone and my new principal barely knows we exist. I
    think you at the mercy of luck with principals that support the arts. Our
    Spring Arts festival was Saturday night and not one administrator was there.
    Unless they sit in on your classes and realize that you DO have a meaningful
    curriculum, art becomes secondary to the so called major subjects. A few
    years ago I was observed while doing a critique and the observer was amazed
    by the dialogue. She said she had never seen anything like it. Go figure?
    I'm lucky though, because the Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum is a
    huge supporter. She never turns down my proposals.

    Patty

    ---