Re: glazes for elementary school

From: Ann Heineman (aheinema-state.edu)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 13:57:09 PDT

    I have been using the AMACO Velvet Underglazes in the assorted sets --there
    are 3 different collections--of 12 2fl oz jars to a box set. Sets are
    around $29. We paint glazes on bisque fired clay to eliminate breakage
    accidents with greenware. We cover underglaze with clear gloss glaze and
    refire. Students and I have been very satisfied with the results. Ahead of
    time I make little pancake shape samples of clay with each color of
    underglaze, then glue to a posterboard with color ID labels so the students
    can see how the colors turn out. I have to keep reminding the students
    that the pink gloss glaze they paint on will really turn out clear when it
    comes out of the kiln!

            Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus

    Ann Heineman....aheinema-state.edu
    Greensview School...Upper Arlington City Schools
    (614)487-5050...Voice Mail 487-6456 Box 522
    aheineman-arlington.k12.oh.us

    ---