RE: artsednet digest: May 21, 2000

From: Fraher, Juli (JULIE.us)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 13:36:28 PDT

    Just 2 things:
    1. Instead of pins for your rainsticks, I saw an episode of Donna's Day on
    PBS and she took two long identical pieces of cardboard less than the
    diameter of the tube, about the same length as the tube, and ran a bead of
    glue down the center. After it was dry, she cross cut it every 1/2 inch or
    so almost to the center and then bent each flap of the center in a different
    direction. She inserted it down the middle of the tube. This allowed the
    rice or beans to fall in different directions which is what you want. Hope I
    made this clear enough to understand. I'm a visual person!!
    2. I've taught calligraphy forever and a real motivator for students and
    Roman lettering is to do Latin phrases. The kids really go for this
    "foreign" language. I found some contemporary Latin phrases by searching on
    the web.If I'm reading this right the site is
    http://www.cowtown.net/humor/153.html They had some cute ones like "Vescere
    bracis meis" loosely translated to "Bite my shorts", etc.
    Hope this helps!
    Juli in Illinois