Re: Help! Seasoned travelers

From: Christa Wise (cwise.us)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 10:31:43 PDT

    At 07:17 AM 5/19/00 EDT, you wrote:
    >Any more travel advice would be appreciated.

    This is a really important thing to remember. Say hello in the language of
    the country, and when you get a response say, immediately, in the native
    language, "Thank you so much, you understand my French (or whatever
    language)." "Vous etes tres gentil, vous comprendez ma francais," for
    instance. This immediately softens the mood, disarming the most grumpy
    native speaker and making him/her much more patient. Usually they will
    come back with something like, "But of course I understand, you speak
    well...Where do you come from? etc., etc.

    Think of how impatient you might become if rude tourists annoyed you with
    questions in bad English all day long. Then think of how much more patient
    you would be with someone who expressed qratitude at your efforts to
    understand. It is a simple task, but so effective!

    The under-the-garment money belt is a great idea. ATM and Visa will get you
    everywhere.

    Michelin Green Guides (Guidebooks - your bookstore will order them for you)
    will direct you to all the art and sites you need to see. The Michelin Red
    Guide (for lodging and restaurants) is peerless. You can trust even its
    most modest recommendations. I wouldn't go anywhere without them.

    Bon Voyage,
    Christa

    ---