Re: glazes for elementary school

From: Soosrogers
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 08:54:25 PDT

    Dear Glazeless,

    Ceramics is such a fun art to introduce to students. The products you
    purchase are really dependant on the projects you want to do with the
    children. For example, if you are going to focus more on the clay
    work\shapes you might want to focus less on the color and go with a
    traditional glaze type product which is applied to bisque. This means once
    the student had sculpted their piece, let the clay dry then fire it, then
    apply glaze (there are 100's of colors to choose from) and fire again.
    However, if you want your students to paint say their animal figurines in
    realistic way, or to do their designs in a cultural form, then I suggest you
    use underglazes. Underglazes allow you opaque vibrant coverage and are great
    for painting detail - lines, shapes, etc.)

    If you use the underglazes, I suggest the newest products to market, such as
    Gare Inc.'s Fun Strokes, which allow you to work directly on bisque. I feel
    this is best because when a child is working directly on bisque, the piece is
    less fragile than working on greenware and less apt to get ruined.

    The process for using this type of product is - student sculpts piece. Let
    dry. Fire to Shelf Cone 04 (or as specified by the clay supplier). Then
    apply color. JUST LET IT DRY. Then clear glaze it. The other benefit of
    this type of underglaze is that there is no need to fire it to set the
    color.

    One way to save time on clear glazing is to try a dipping glaze in the art
    room. The pro of using this is it saves time for the students. Plus it only
    takes about 1 minute for the glaze to dry on the piece. Also, per ounce it
    costs less. The con is that the art teacher would do the dipping. (Or if
    you are lucky a teacher's aide.) If you are interested in learning more
    about dipping glaze or you (or any one else wants to try FUN STROKES), please
    let me know. I hope this is helpful. Soos

    ---