Re: calligraphy ideas?

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 06:53:21 PDT

    Artemis420 wrote:

    > In a message dated 5/21/00 12:24:16 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
    > gregjuli writes:
    >
    > << ve seen calligraphy used inside the shape of the word being done, for
    > example-calligraphy the word apple many times inside the outline of an apple.
    > MaryB >>
    > I have seen it written around the paper like a rectangular spiral, ending in
    > the center with the name.

    This reminded me of the beautiful calligraphic pictures I saw in Turkey. They
    were replications of old Arabic ones. I think they were poems in the form of a
    lion or other object (not just single words). The Arabic script was soo-ooo
    beautiful. Wish I'd bought some now, but they were usually done on cheap
    pasteboard so I figured they wouldn't last.

    If any of you ever go to Istanbul, check out the Calligraphy Museum. It's tiny,
    little-visited, and has gorgeous examples of traditional Arabic calligraphic art.

    Maggie

    ---