Re: glazes for elementary school

From: Judie (judiej50)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 03:45:20 PDT

    After many attempts at using colored glazes, I decided to go the route of
    using only underglazes, then a clear glaze over them. The recommended
    procedure is to paint the underglaze on the greenware, bisque fire, coat
    with two coats of a clear glaze and fire a second time. However in the
    interest of time, I have had students paint underglazes on to wet (yes, I
    said "wet") clay, (2 heave coats),
    let dry to the greenware stage, then paint two coats of clear glaze on and
    fire only one time. When firing, you must not turn kiln on high until
    ALLLL of the moisture is gone.

    Good luck.
    Judie