Re: calligraphy ideas?

From: skygeoff
Date: Sun May 21 2000 - 21:40:38 PDT

    Dear Leah,
    I have a great calligraphy project for you. Have the children make early
    American Fracturs. These are birth or wedding announcements done in calligraphy
    on parchment paper. We used the golden yellow parchment paper and burned the
    edges. You could also tear them and color them brown. The children made
    announcements about their own births or the birth of a sibling or a new
    baby-to-be. They made wedding announcements for their parents. Some even made
    birth announcements for their pets. They said things like: "On this day, the
    fourth of June, Joe So-and-So was born". There may be a website on fracturs.
    My lesson on fracturs was published in Susan Rodriguez' book "Culture Smart".
    They really were a hit with the parents, too.
    Sky

    ---