Re:"Packus Ratus Americanus"

From: Teri Brudnak (tbrudnak)
Date: Sun May 21 2000 - 06:31:02 PDT

    I confess..I am a professional pack rat (and that's a good thing for my
    art classes). We are at the end of a thematic unit on animals in the
    beginning classes and finishing with a wire animal scupture. In addition
    to the 16-14 gau. mild steel wire I gave students, I have a huge bundle
    of phone wire begged from a friend who repairs pay phones.
    We have to cut the plastic casing off (which I do) to get to the bundles
    of multicolor strands but the work is worth it. We have added colored
    beads as well as the colored wire and students will paint the sculptures
    (with a brush and acrylic paint) a color that reflects the mood of the
    animal they wish to express.
    Our artist example was Deborah Butterfield. Students loved her horse
    sculptures and we talked about how they express her love of the animals
    and how she sees them.
    Its a good thing my husband is so patient with my junk collecting and we
    have a big garage!!!

    Teri Brudnak
    Corona del Mar High School
    Newport Beach, CA