calligraphy ideas?

From: Litesal (litesal)
Date: Sun May 21 2000 - 11:19:45 PDT

    Dear Colleagues,

    I am teaching a calligraphy class this summer (soon, June!) to 4, 5, and 6th
    graders. I will have them for three hours a day, three days a week for
    three weeks. So far, I plan to introduce them to the major alphabets
    (Roman, Uncial, Blackletter, Italic, and Book hand). With these, I plan to
    have them letter a quote, a poem, an invitation, a greeting card, a business
    card, an announcement, a poster, a certificate and an award. I am getting a
    bunch of quotes together for them to choose from, but I'd like some ideas on
    how to approach the poem. I'd also like to have them working on other
    projects between practicing and tedious line measuring. I thought we could
    marbelize paper, make paper, do Chinese calligraphy, make paste paper (would
    it be good to do calligraphy on), and make books. In addition, I'd like to
    teach them to letter their names in Egyptian heiroglphics and Mayan glyphs.
    Any ideas, thoughts, tips or websites to help me in this endeavor would be
    greatly appreciated.

    Sincerely, Leah

    ---