Re: Chair constuction- thinking outside the box

From: John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Date: Sun May 21 2000 - 06:36:09 PDT

    Gumart1 wrote:

    > Sandra-
    > You have my curiosity peaked. What do you mean by the accordian method for
    > building a chair?
    >
    > Thank you
    > -Ruth in IL
    Of building a bridge/structure. You have two students come up and
    try to figure out how to make 3 pieces of poster board strong enough
    to hold up one of them when put between two chairs. They won't be
    able to do it. Then you pull out another middle poster board which
    is folded accordion style and sandwich it between the other and then
    try again. ( I have a 9 year old who was 50 lb.). They will be able
    to sit on it without falling through. try at home first. Anyway, I'm
    use to the chair assembly with newspaper also. Never tried it with
    paper bags. I think I would opt for a few materials, depending on
    how old these kids are- frustration might set in not allowing them
    to keep interest in this subject.I suppose assembly without use is
    fine though.
    Sandra
    astroboy

    ---