Re: More Italy stuff

From: Batmom44
Date: Sun May 21 2000 - 05:57:07 PDT

    In a message dated 5/20/00 2:15:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time, kimberly
    writes:

    << I would like to give you a student's viewpoint. In high school I went to
     Greece one year and Scotland and England another with the dance team. If you
     can, interview any potential chaperones and make sure they aren't likely to
     teach your students the exact opposite of what you want them to learn by
     traveling. In Greece they insisted we dress in shorts to visit a cathedral
     and got mad when we were not allowed inside, complained that the Greeks did
     not speak English like civilized people, and one told the captain of our
     cruise ship that he was violating the first amendment by broadcasting the
     Orthodox Easter Mass over the sound system (they are required to by Greek
     law). I was mortified, and loved it when the captain told the bigot to go
     home. In England and Scotland one chaperone kept trying to get me to buy
     stuff I hated (high fashion dresses, wool sweaters I'm so allergic to wool I
     can't wear a wool skirt or pants without sneezing and itching). They
     wouldn't let us eat fish and chips, because they thought they were
     unsanitary. I developed an abiding hatred of McDonalds food after a week of
     McDonalds for lunch every day. Our teacher was disgusted with their
     behavior, but who chaperoned was not her decision. The booster club
     president chose them - parents with travel experience, or business
     experience abroad were never chosen. It was always her best pals, and we had
     to go on their fantasy shopping trips. We did not go to one museum in
     London!

    Amen, amen, amen. I once had a co-chaperone not chosen by me who thought it
    was terrible that the children had to eat French food. She even made comments
    when our French parent guides told us about things that they thought were
    interesting. She would say things like, "Oh, I am SO glad they told us that."
    This person who taught social studies also wanted to know what was so
    important about Fountainbleu (sp). She was such a WONDERFUL example for the
    students.

    ---