gifted kids problems

From: Rdunkelart
Date: Sat May 20 2000 - 20:21:39 PDT

    Thanks to all who gave me encouragement with my hostile parent conference.
    All went well as long as I let her rattle on about her gifted child and how
    gifted children
    are just wired differently and they have to talk out and they have to be in
    charge.
    Even when I reminded her that I had raised two giftted children and that I
    had expected them to respect the teacher etc. I told her that "I have to be
    in charge" and that when her son realizes this all will go well. I said that
    if he masters the
    Element or Principal of Art that day then he will be able to pull out an
    extra lesson
    from a packet of lessons as will "all the gifted children that finish early"
    She seems
    to think that her son is the only Gifted Child in the school. I love gifted
    kids but when
    they act like they are sooooooo superior I can;t stand them. With 22
    students (avg)
    and only 40 minutes to reach all of them I feel that I should spend more time
    with
    the ones that have trouble understanding the directions or have low self
    esteem
    (some having been verbally attacked by the gifted know it all) and need their
    confidence built up. I know that gifted also need esteem lifts as they
    realize that
    they aren't going to reach the high expectations they;ve set for themselves.
    This
    kid wants to get everything perfect. Even when I explain that most art isn;t
    perfect
    unless it is perspective or to be a life exact replica. Anyone out there
    have answers
    for the gifted child with all too high expectations. This packet will
    contain math art
    stuff as he loves math and measuring but I have a gut feeling that even that
    will
    be "beneath him". All Roberta

    ---