Re: art show incident

From: maryannkohl (maryann)
Date: Sat May 20 2000 - 16:46:22 PDT

    I never think of the right thing to say or do either, !!!usually!!! ...
    except that this particular "thing" happens to me all the time. It's like
    when I used to tell my kids to say, "My mom won't let me do it..." to get
    out of stuff they didn't have the tools to get out of. It was a good ol'
    stand by. And so is this: "This belongs to the school...I can't let you
    have it. I'm so sorry." Sometimes I even say, "Oh, I wish I could take
    some home too. Wouldn't that be great?" They don't seem to understand
    anything else...like if it's *mine* (when I'm giving a workshop in art),
    why wouldn't I just want them to have all the supplies they can carry out
    the door? Oh well. live and learn. There is a real "freebie" mentality
    around these days...often goes along with some second generation welfare
    folks (oh, please...don't kill me for saying that...not ALL welfare
    folks, just SOME)...I'm not really sure why everyone feels they "deserve"
    to have all the free stuff they can get their hands on. You should go to
    this one conference I attend called NAEYC (natl young chldren
    educators)...the people bring in sacks to the exhibit hall to cart out
    all the stuff they can. And the BEA (booksellers of America)...they have
    outlawed wheeled carts and bags because people were stealing so much
    stuff. Amazing. Ok, chip up and off we go to be good educators.
    MaryAnn

    maryann
    http://www.brightring.com

    "So many things have made living and learning easier. But the real things
    haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the
    most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful
    and have courage when things go wrong"...Laura Ingalls Wilder

    ---