Re: taking a book from an office.......

From: John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Date: Sat May 20 2000 - 16:38:43 PDT

    > << A voice from the class said "I have it." That student had
    > > gone into my office, taken a book from the shelf, and was using it >>

    Call me skeptical but- how old is this kid? What else was in the
    office she helped herself to?
    Had the students been aware of many books available on the shelf,
    (and knew what they wanted)so helped themselves? This could be
    avoided if you wanted to let the kids check out your books. These
    are your books, therefore I'm assuming you don't want kids loosing
    your resources. You could check out from the library what might
    pertain to your unit, and have the kids checkout books while in
    class only. Sign out and sign it back in. Now that it's come up
    maybe alternatives can be addressed.
    It's hard to evaluate her intentions, without knowing the student.
    Is everyone in her family the same way- thinking you take what you
    want or everything belongs to society in general. She probably
    wasn't being malicious, but maybe she has grown up not having
    boundaries at home.
    Society has changed and is ever evolving.
    Sandra
    astroboy

    ---