Re: Foreign travel

From: SANDRA ROWLAND (serowland)
Date: Sat May 20 2000 - 15:06:22 PDT

    > 3. Make a copy of all valuables (credit cards, passport, airplane tickets)
    > and put this in a place NOT with the originals

    Also someone at home, parent or guardian needs to have a set of copies.
    That is extra insurance!

    > 4. Buy and use the International Student Identification Card (ISIC); for $20
    > ($25 for teachers) the traveler has plenty of medical insurance, free
    > currency exchange, discounts into major attractions, passport reimbursement
    > if the passport is lost, baggage insurance, and many other perks including
    > repatriation of remains (as gruesome as it sounds, people are killed in
    > foreign countries and most insurance does not cover the return of remains to
    > the home country ... any idea how expensive it is to return a body from
    > Europe to the US?)

    This is so true. My parents had a friend that went to England and
    dropped dead of a massive heart attack as he walked into St. Paul's
    Cathedral. This is where the Embassy is also a help. They will not help
    with expenses but help with arrangements for return. Sounds morbid, but
    anything is possible.

    Sandra in AL

    ---