dress code

From: KPRS (KPRS)
Date: Sat May 20 2000 - 15:51:42 PDT

    Grounds for SculptureI would like to weigh in on this conversation. My dress code is this...whatever I feel comfortable in, whatever I am willing to ruin, whatever is clean, whatever makes me feel taller and thinner, whatever makes someone sit up and ask me where I got it, whatever is embellished, whatever is "not what everyone else is wearing".

    My new superintendent came up to me and asked me where I got my clothes..."here and there", and the other day made sure to come over and introduce another superintendent to me and then remarked 'oh, we are southwestern today, right?" (I had on a genuine ribbon shirt, with my turquoise bear fetish necklace, jeans and sneaks).

    Clothes do indeed make the man and/or woman. I am the most modest dresser we have in school, and I might add, the most asexual. Why? because I want both the girls and the boys to respect me equally, as well as the men and women on the staff. At meetings I tend to dress in my idea of a suit (handwoven, or hand painted) with unusual jewelry. So, for example, at back to school night, a parent will be able to distinquish me from the rest of the faculty (who by the way are all baby boomers, so we are starting to all look like our parents!), and knows exactly who to talk to about the art program. On field trips my students can pick me out immediately (and hopefully I am not embarrassing), so that if they get lost, or 'misplaced' they look for the woman in the "yellow shoes"...etc.

    San D

    ---