Ethics

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti)
Date: Sat May 20 2000 - 12:49:54 PDT

    Certainly, Bunki raises a good point that there may have been extenuating
    circumstances in most any situation, and we should always check for these.
    This is why I suggested asking for the person's reasoning rather than making
    any outright or implied accusation of theft.

    > and have witnessed a steady decline in ethics in the classroom.

    Sky also raises the above point, and this has been a consistent finding of
    several groups which have done research in this area.

    The most important point for all of us to realize, as teachers, parents and
    citizens, is that it need not be this way. True, the training and guidance
    is lacking, but there are successful programs being used. As I mentioned, I
    just completed training in one such program. If anyone would like to look
    at the website of the Institute for Global Ethics, their URL is
    http://www.globalethics.org.

    I will attach the Word format of our brochure, revised to reflect this new
    service, to another email to the list. I hope this won't burden anyone's
    system.

    Larry

    Lawrence A. Parker
    Philosopher/Educational Consultant
    The Ohio Center for Critical Thinking Instruction
    http://www.acorn.net/lists-ht/occti.html
    Truth, Honor and Courage

    ---