RE: More Italy stuff

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
Date: Sat May 20 2000 - 11:12:12 PDT

    I would like to give you a student's viewpoint. In high school I went to
    Greece one year and Scotland and England another with the dance team. If you
    can, interview any potential chaperones and make sure they aren't likely to
    teach your students the exact opposite of what you want them to learn by
    traveling. In Greece they insisted we dress in shorts to visit a cathedral
    and got mad when we were not allowed inside, complained that the Greeks did
    not speak English like civilized people, and one told the captain of our
    cruise ship that he was violating the first amendment by broadcasting the
    Orthodox Easter Mass over the sound system (they are required to by Greek
    law). I was mortified, and loved it when the captain told the bigot to go
    home. In England and Scotland one chaperone kept trying to get me to buy
    stuff I hated (high fashion dresses, wool sweaters I'm so allergic to wool I
    can't wear a wool skirt or pants without sneezing and itching). They
    wouldn't let us eat fish and chips, because they thought they were
    unsanitary. I developed an abiding hatred of McDonalds food after a week of
    McDonalds for lunch every day. Our teacher was disgusted with their
    behavior, but who chaperoned was not her decision. The booster club
    president chose them - parents with travel experience, or business
    experience abroad were never chosen. It was always her best pals, and we had
    to go on their fantasy shopping trips. We did not go to one museum in
    London!

    Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
    CAM Administrator