old woman with a handful of stickers.......

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer.us)
Date: Sat May 20 2000 - 10:15:07 PDT

    from: Bunki Kramer (bkramer.us)
    Los Cerros Middle School
    968 Blemer Road
    Danville, CA 94526
    ************************

    >From: skygeoff
    >I walked over to the woman who looked
    > to be about 60 years old and yes, she was holding a big handful of stickers.
    > I said, "Excuse me, did someone tell you you could have those?" She just
    > looked at me. Another woman who may have been her daughter (about 40 years
    > old) said, "She thought she could have them." I said, "Well ... they're mine
    > but o.k. you can keep them". I just walked away because it was really
    > awkward.
    ************************

    Hi, Sky....I understand your concern about what seems obviously a case of
    open theft. Maybe you should have asked her the question Larry suggested. I
    probably wouldn't have myself either so don't feel alone. B-U-T...I want to
    offer another perspective.

    My mom had a stroke this last August and when I take her out into the
    community, she has a habit of sometimes doing awkward things. I could easily
    see how MY mom could have taken those pretty stickers. Perhaps her daughter
    was waiting to see what your reaction would be and let you lead the next
    step to their return. Maybe not. Dealing with an older person...sometimes...
    we're at a loss to know what to do.

    And...maybe, just maybe...the student who witnessed the exchange noticed
    your respectful handling of an elderly person and came away with THAT
    perspective which is ALSO a valuable lesson.

    Sometimes we don't see what's really there...and then, sometimes we do.
    Toodles........

    ---