a request for comments on a research in art education

From: Pnina Bachar (pnina_b)
Date: Sat May 20 2000 - 08:54:30 PDT

    Dear coleagues,

    I am writing to you because I am interested in your opinion regarding my research in the framework of my studies towards Ph.D. in the Bar-Ilan School of Education, Ramat-Gan, Israel. The research main purpose is to form a general and agreed upon definition to the term “an autonomic learner in plastic art”. This definition is highly important as a basis for discussion among researchers who are interested to find out the most preferable channel for the student development in the art. As I see it, the absence of this kind of definition today contributes to the unclear situation of art education.

    As you probably know, most of the people who deal with art education agree that in order to understand a piece of art it is not enough to know the history of art. One must have a sub-cognitive ability and the ability to feel it. You have to know the tools through which the artwork expresses itself – the color, texture, image etc. It is well known that the experience of creating art is personal and cannot be learned or rephrased, especially not in a form of a lesson or a learning material. That is why for years, educators have discussed the way art should be taught in school. What are the important things in learning and what can we teach only by showing the work of art intimately to the student.

    My work is based on the knowledge drawn from professional literature as a first step to build my research. In addition to that I turn to people in the field of art education and ask for their position on the subject. Thus, I turn to each and everyone of you and ask you to describe in detail, as much as possible –

      1.. The operational, emotional, cognitive and metacognitive abilities required, in your opinion, in order to understand plastic art.

      2.. Which abilities, in your opinion, are essential and without them one cannot understand nor experience a piece of art.

      3.. Can we identify a sequence through which these abilities should be learned. What are the considerations for that – age of student, the educational framework or other considerations?

    I am aware that my request demands time and attention, and I appreciate your attention. I would not have bothered you if I had not seen the importance of this research and your position on this subject.

    Please reply to my e-mail: pnina_b

    Thank you in advance,

    Pnina Bachar

    ---