Re: art show incident

From: Lori Graham (graham24)
Date: Sat May 20 2000 - 10:03:40 PDT

    Larry,
    Thank you for your perspective on the issue of ethics and our role as
    teachers. I have been a community college teacher for twenty years, and
    have witnessed a steady decline in ethics in the classroom. The
    students have a sense of entitlement that never ceases to amaze me. The
    scenarios range from rude to outright lying and stealing right in front
    of me, then denying everything. They always turn it around to be the
    teacher's fault, and seldom take responsibility for their own actions.
    These are adults!

    I was in my office looking for a book, found it missing, and announced
    to the student waiting that one of the other teachers must have borrowed
    the book. A voice from the class said "I have it." That student had
    gone into my office, taken a book from the shelf, and was using it at
    her drafting table. She never asked to use the book, nor did she ask
    permission to go into my office. I told all the class that no one has
    permission to go into my office without my approval. The student
    immediately marched over to the Dean of Students to file a complaint
    against me because she felt I personally attacked her.

    I have a zillion stories like this, and they keep getting more
    outrageous as the years go on. One would think that as the teaching
    years go by, I would become more "seasoned," and less amazed at the
    fortitude of these students. No, I am just getting more saddened by the
    lack of accountability, responsibility, and ethics.

    Lori

    ---