Foreign travel

From: PGStephens
Date: Sat May 20 2000 - 06:47:47 PDT

    A few travel tips that I am "imposing" upon a group of graduate students as
    we embark on an excursion to London where they will be peer teaching in the
    galleries of the major museums:

    1. No more than two pieces of luggage
    2. No checked bags
    3. Make a copy of all valuables (credit cards, passport, airplane tickets)
    and put this in a place NOT with the originals
    4. Buy and use the International Student Identification Card (ISIC); for $20
    ($25 for teachers) the traveler has plenty of medical insurance, free
    currency exchange, discounts into major attractions, passport reimbursement
    if the passport is lost, baggage insurance, and many other perks including
    repatriation of remains (as gruesome as it sounds, people are killed in
    foreign countries and most insurance does not cover the return of remains to
    the home country ... any idea how expensive it is to return a body from
    Europe to the US?)
    5. Heads up ... just be aware of your surroundings at all times.

    Pam
    http://www.ARTeaches.com

    ---