Improving teaching skills

From: PGStephens
Date: Sat May 20 2000 - 06:37:54 PDT

    As a person who is dedicated to lifelong learning, I am not one to discourage
    anyone from returning to school. However, I believe that it is highly
    unrealistic to anticipate that taking education or art education courses will
    improve anyone's classroom skills unless one is able to transfer theory to
    practice.

    While taking college courses can broaden one's understanding of educational
    theory, it is probably unreasonable to expect to learn much about practice.
    In all my graduate work I cannot recall a single instructor who had more than
    one year of actual public school experience. How can we expect that
    theorists can or will teach practice? It's impossible to teach what you do
    not know.

    My suggestion to anyone desiring a graduate degree is to go for it, but be
    realistic in your expectations of what will happen. You'll have to use your
    own classroom to translate mounds of theory into useful practice. Watch
    master teachers (e.g., those people you teach with) to gain insight into
    better teaching strategies.

    Pam
    http://www.ARTeaches.com

    ---