Re: More Italy stuff

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz)
Date: Sat May 20 2000 - 06:36:41 PDT

    Michelle Peck Williams wrote:

    > Just where are you supposed to leave you passport when you "aren't carrying
    > it with you?" I, for one, am NOT leaving my passport with ANYONE who
    > isn't a blood relative.

    I leave mine in a secret compartment of my suitcase. I travel pretty low-key
    (hippie-with-a-backpack) and never have had any problems. Hotel safes are the best
    place to leave them, along with other valuables, especially if you're with a group.
    Make sure you have an accurate inventory of what's in the safe, and have the desk
    clerk initial it before putting it away. As you said, US passports are a valuable
    black market commodity, so it makes sense to carry a photocopy of it instead. Some
    banks might prefer the actual passport when cashing traveler's checks, though in
    Ecuador they accepted my photocopy.

    Maggie

    ---