art show incident

From: skygeoff
Date: Sat May 20 2000 - 08:47:19 PDT

    My student's art show was on Thursday night. It was wonderful. Eight
    children demonstrated printmaking. They hung their finished prints on a
    clothesline which was hung above the table where they were working. Five
    girls helped the visitors make "Thumbprint Thingys". They mounted them on
    colored paper and everyone got to take home a miniature piece of artwork.
    This was a big hit.

    However, there was one incident which I have to tell you about. One of the
    fifth grade girls who was at the thumbprint table came up to me and said, "Are
    people allowed to help themselves to the stuff on your desk?" I said, "No,
    why?" She said, "That lady over there just took a big handful of the stickers
    you give out to the kids for rewards." I walked over to the woman who looked
    to be about 60 years old and yes, she was holding a big handful of stickers.
    I said, "Excuse me, did someone tell you you could have those?" She just
    looked at me. Another woman who may have been her daughter (about 40 years
    old) said, "She thought she could have them." I said, "Well ... they're mine
    but o.k. you can keep them". I just walked away because it was really
    awkward. I did go back to my desk to see if she'd taken anything else. Next
    year I'll clear my desk. Otherwise it was a great night.

    Sky

    ---