courses to learn about teaching art.....

From: Patricia Knott (pknott)
Date: Sat May 20 2000 - 04:07:00 PDT

    I agree with Bunki - there are too many people out there teaching courses
    that haven't seen the inside of a classroom in years. In fact, the last
    class I took, the professor didn't know anything about multiple
    intelligences or teaching to different learning styles. It was then that I
    decided not to pursue a masters degree. It's hurting me financially, but
    the one thing that I hate about the educational system is having my pay
    linked to the number of degrees I have. I guess it's all those years I spent
    in business where performance is what mattered.

    Any how, back to courses. Search out good teachers and observe them. I
    find that teachers are the most generous with giving what they have. Ask
    around, people know who are the effective teachers. I am friends with the
    Dean of Admissions at an art school. She visits all the schools and she
    tells me lots about what is being done well in the schools.

    I've said this before, but I think the best way to learn about learning is
    to take a course in something new for yourself. Pay attention to your
    struggles and how a skill needs to be broken down in order to teach it. I
    learned a lot from a phys ed teacher about looking at a skill step by step.

    The first two years I taught, I thought I would die. I never slept, I was
    always preparing, my head was always in school. It is the hardest job I've
    ever had! But things fall into place, your instincts take over and you
    realize you really do have eyes in the back of your head.

    Be patient, you will become a good teacher.

    Patty

    ---