courses to learn about teaching art.....

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer.us)
Date: Fri May 19 2000 - 18:54:52 PDT

    from: Bunki Kramer (bkramer.us)
    Los Cerros Middle School
    968 Blemer Road
    Danville, CA 94526
    ************************

    >From: Tom Johnsen <koordt>
    > I'm interested in getting much better as an art teacher..... My question: what
    are the most valuable courses, where are they> taught, and how much do they
    cost?

    > I am currently visiting other art teachers in the area and so far have
    > observed two. Many great ideas come out of this, complete with solutions to
    >I took no> course that dealt specifically with teaching art.> Tom in Potter
    ***********************

    Yep.....well...I "took" courses at my university that dealt specifically
    with teaching art....or rather.....the course by-line implied that I would
    learn how to teach art. I can't give them much credence along this avenue.
    Usually these courses are taught by teachers who haven't been in a classroom
    in years (one I had never did!). I can, however, recommend two "courses" to
    you....one of which you already belong to. This course is the Getty
    ArtsEdNet Listserv where you can learn the everyday life of art teachers
    around the world, find unbelievable lesson plans, find supplies, learn
    discipline control, how to order things and where to find them, etc. It's
    certainly made a much better art teacher outta me!

    The second "course" is to attend your NAEA conventions where you will meet
    other art teachers face to face, articulate, and attend workshops on over
    700 themes, ideas, discussions. I've also become a much better art teacher
    through attending these conventions. If the $$$ is too much for you, do as
    someone suggested and join your local state art education association. There
    you will find friendly art teachers committed to the same thing as you
    are...becoming a fabulous teacher of art. Best of luck in your journey.
    Toodles........

    ---