Re: Rainsticks

From: Pam Signorelli (psignore.us)
Date: Fri May 19 2000 - 12:51:37 PDT

    Subject: Re: Rainsticks

    <<<<I'm interested in possibly making rainsticks with my students. Any hints or
    suggestions would be greatly appreciated.>>>>

    Nina,
    We did these with clay last year. The students made two "troughs", a paper towel roll cut in half was used as the mold. When they were leather hard they added little "spikes" inside and put in small "spit balls" of clay.
    (I like the idea someone posted here about rolling the balls in paper to keep them from sticking inside rattles)
    Then joined them using slip and decorated the outside with attachments.
    One student covered hers with vines and leaves.
    The sound varies depending on the size of the spikes and balls.
    I loved the sound of them.

    Pam Signorelli

    ---