being misquoted in the press

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
Date: Fri May 19 2000 - 10:07:17 PDT

    What can you do about being continually misquoted in the press? The latest
    is a quote about my grandfather founding little league in Canada. The
    reporter asked me if I knew much about baseball before researching our
    latest exhibit. I told her I learned to play on a diamond build by my
    grandfather, when his kids were little and he organized a youth league on
    Prince Edward Island, Canada. Now my grandfather did a lot of wonderful
    things, organized several different youth leagues for different sports,
    invented different attachments for his prosthetic (sp) arm so he could play
    different sports safely, and build a pitching machine/batting cage for his
    kids before the major leagues were using them regularly, but he didn't start
    little league. The last time this happened a docent from the fine arts
    museum who hates money being spent on the Children's Art Museum and me, cut
    out quotes from articles (just the individual sentences not the whole
    article) took them to my boss, and called me a liar. He told her that he
    would be amazed if the paper ever got a quote right. It is not just me this
    is happening to, they have misquoted my boss, our collections manager, the
    educator, and other organizations have the same problem. Any ideas on how we
    can protect ourselves. The reporters are being sloppy not deliberately
    trying to mislead people, but the troublemakers use these misquotes to hurt
    staff and in some cases try and get them fired.

    Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
    CAM Administrator