Paul Bartel dies

From: John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Date: Fri May 19 2000 - 06:46:05 PDT

    How Ironic- I just watched Rock and Roll highschool Tuesday night
    and now this...

    Thursday, May 18, 2000
    Paul Bartel dies of cancer
    Character actor and maverick independent filmmaker Paul Bartel died
    Saturday of liver cancer.
    The Hollywood Reporter says the 61-year-old Bartel, best known for
    his
    cult classics "Eating Raoul" and "Death Race 2000," made his most
    recent
    appearance as Osric in a modern-day resetting of "Hamlet," which
    opened
    in theatres last week.
    After early work in documentaries and some low-budget comedies,
    renegade
    producer Roger Corman hired Bartel to direct "Death Race 2000,"
    about a
    violent cross-country race, in 1975. "Eating Raoul," which was
    released
    in 1982, was a self-financed comedy about cannibalism.
    Bartel and his wife, Mary Woronov, co-starred in both "Eating Raoul"
    and
    "Scenes From The Class Struggle In Beverly Hills." The Hollywood
    Reporter said Bartel was also in great demand as a small-part actor,
    appearing in "Basquiat," "Escape From L.A.," "The Usual Suspects"
    and
    "Rock N Roll High School."

                                 *****

    ---