thinking outside the box

From: Peggy Woolsey (Eoolspeg)
Date: Fri May 19 2000 - 04:58:06 PDT

    Hi Jennifer,
            Have done the chair project a number of times. How are you using
    the paper bags? I have a hard time imagining them supporting weight. I
    always used rolled up newspaper which was free of course and could be made
    to support weight. The students I had were also frustrated. It's a big
    project. (This is high school, grades 10 and 11). It calls for alot of
    thinking. I found that when it came time to paint the chairs, they were so
    sick of the chairs they didn't want to bother. In other words the final
    aesthetics after all the physics of the project wore them down. I still
    think its a good project. This time of year the kids want to do as little
    as possible to get done. It's frustrating.

    ---