Re: "automatic pilot"

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 15:12:58 PDT

    > I'm interested in getting much better as an art teacher, having, I think,
    > this year begun to discover my style, or at least that, if there is a
    > learning style for each child, there is a teaching style for each teacher.
    > You can't be everyone for anyone without being yourself for you first and
    > foremost. My question: what are the most valuable courses, where are they
    > taught, and how much do they cost?

    The most valuable course is experience (not just putting in time). I
    once was trained to
    do peer coaching, we observed each other and then discussed and
    reflected on what we
    saw. More than anything I gained an appreciation for careful
    reflection. If you can learn
    to observe (yourself) and what you do, and what effect it has on kids,
    and on learning then
    reflection can be a real growth tool. I may be fooling myself to think
    I can detach myself
    while I'm teaching to really see what is happening, but I think I can.

    > I am currently visiting other art teachers in the area and so far have
    > observed two. Many great ideas come out of this, complete with solutions to
    > problems I didn't know I had.

    Observing others teach is the best way to start. Ask teachers you
    admire when are they
    presenting that dynamite lesson, or when the best time to observe would
    be. It does little
    good to show up on test, or clean-up day or when 1/2 the kids are gone
    on a field trip.

    --
                           To respond to me privately via E-mail
                               click on wduncan