Re: switching art schedules

From: Alasann1
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 15:10:37 PDT

    I have gone through this for the past 5 years. I ask in advance for group
    scheduling my grade level. What we do is have the PE and Music work with
    these same groups. That way we just rotate kids and at least teachers are
    allowed 1.5 hours of uninterrupted planning time. Often this is valuable for
    mixed primaries as we have here in Kentucky. The principal here is the
    creator and greatest supporter of providing this group planning time as it is
    expected of teachers in order to integrate.
    I find that it is a great opportunity also to do this as the music and PE
    teacher and I have worked simultaneously on the teaching of three cultural
    groups. Our efforts undergird each other really well and one program
    compliments the other nicely. It increases our sense of moral support
    (which "special teachers" often do not sense getting).
    We do this without much stress at all. We eat lunch together a few times and
    discuss dates and content. We film each other's work and share handouts and
    tapes. It provides me with great new ideas.
    This takes support from the administration for the scheduling but ends up
    benefiting the child most of all-which is satisfying to me.
    Now, what do I do about the sense of feeling no more important to staff than
    just being relief from their kids? Some folks are just going to act that way
    of fell that way no matter what. Some are just too tired to care.
    I just want to be sure I never take the arts for granted.

    ---