thinking outside the box

From: Aaron and Jennifer (THEGREEN99)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 14:31:42 PDT

        Ugh. I just realized how narrow-minded my students are today. I think
    they are going to kill me. (figuratively) They are so mad and frustrated
    with my right now. I think they are ready to call it quits.
        The project we are doing involves some serious thinking skills - but
    quite fun. They have to design a chair (functional) using paper bags, an
    unlimited supply, and a roll of masking tape. The chair has to able to
    support one person and relate to some kind of function/purpose. Of course,
    they are thinking chairs must have four legs and a seat and can only used
    for working conditions.
        They bet me I could not do it. I took the easy route and made a very
    simple chair - which is functional. (tested it myself) I am not sure what
    their reaction is going to be.
        It almost scares me to see my students not be able to think outside the
    box. What is our world going to be like when they become tomorrow's leaders?
    Food for thought.

    Jennifer in Michigan

    ---