Slap Painting

From: maryannkohl (maryann)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 11:09:24 PDT

    Hi, Friends and MailRingers:

    I'm happy happy today! New book arrived from printer, so I thought I
    would share an idea from it, The Big Messy Art Book. It's always so
    exciting when I first hold the book in my hands when it arrives. Somehow
    the work all seems most worthwhile at that moment like no other time.

    This book is particularly fun because listserv members helped by
    submitting ideas which I tested and wrote up into projects. So
    motivating!! They, of course, are given credit in the book and will
    receive a free copy for their help. (If the person actually writes up the
    project ready to use in the book - no work for me! - they get MONEY and
    a book!)

    Here's one of the ideas, which is great fun to do with kids. I hope you
    will have a chance to try it before school is out..I suggest working
    outdoors, but not required:

    Slap Painting
    from The Big Messy Art Book
    printed with permission

    Materials
                 old, thin trouser socks or panty hose (make two, one from
    each foot)
                 sand
                 tempera paints or other paints
                 butcher paper
                 tape
                 bowls or pie pans
                 work area covered with newspaper

    Process
              1.Put sand in the sock until about the size of a fist. Tie a
    knot in the sock close to the sand. Make it tight! Make a sandy sock for
    each color of paint.
              2.Tape paper to the newspaper covered work area.
              3.Pour paint into pans or bowls about 1" (3cm) deep.
              4.Dip a sandy sock into the paint, and then SLAP! the sock on
    the paper.
              5.Make as many slaps with as many different colors as needed to
    satisfy the design.
              6.Make more paintings!
    Note: The socks are not all that easy to wash, but can be rinsed and
    dried. Don't expect to make them clean and unused looking ever again. :o)

    Some Variations
                - Drop the sandy paint sock from a high place onto the paper.
                - Fill the socks with pea gravel, aquarium rocks, or marbles.
                 Heavier socks should be slapped against paper that is on the
                 ground, instead of on a table.
                - Experiment with different types of socks, sacks, or bags.
                - Dip sandy socks in water, then in powdered tempera paint,
                 then slap on the paper.
                 - Dip the sandy socks in powdered tempera paint and slap on
                 wet paper.
                  - Stuff a sock with a damp sponge. Use as a dauber for
    painting.

    maryann
    http://www.brightring.com

    "So many things have made living and learning easier. But the real things
    haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the
    most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful
    and have courage when things go wrong"...Laura Ingalls Wilder