Re: Do it yourself raku kiln

From: Christa Wise (cwise.us)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 09:50:15 PDT

    >>ok, how do you make a raku fire kiln?!

    You received some good advice. I have built two raku kilns. The first was
    similar to the one described, but the second was made from an old electric
    kiln we were throwing away. You pull out the elements, cut a hole in the
    top which you can partially cover with an old broken kiln shelf as a
    damper, and then cut a hole in the bottom of one side for the burner. Use
    fire brick to elevate a shelf for the pots above the flames. Old wet
    T-shirts work well as gaskets on your reduction cans to keep excess oxygen
    out. Have fun!
    Christa

    ---