re: recycled art

From: Teri Mason (terily)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 07:26:06 PDT

    How about
    **Furniture made from paper towel tubes? In one issue of SchoolArts I
    remember a cool giraffe chair made from these, along with flat
    cardboard. Not functional, of course, but cute. They could design
    their own.
    **Oaxacan animalitos made from scrap wood. Glue different pieces
    together, sand and paint in the Oaxacan style.
    **Rainsticks from cardboard tubes. With thinner tubes, you can use
    push-type staight pins, beans and papier mache'.

    <<I'm teaching a recycled art class this summer and am looking for some
    ideas. I did a search in the archives and it came up with over 25,000
    so I was hoping to not have to try and sort thru them all! I'm teaching
    2hr blocks for 5 days, middle school level so nothing too goofy or
    to them. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm going to do tin can
    and corrugated cardboard frames, what else would be fun?>>