re: recycled art

From: Teri Mason (terily)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 07:26:06 PDT

    How about
    **Furniture made from paper towel tubes? In one issue of SchoolArts I
    remember a cool giraffe chair made from these, along with flat
    cardboard. Not functional, of course, but cute. They could design
    their own.
    **Oaxacan animalitos made from scrap wood. Glue different pieces
    together, sand and paint in the Oaxacan style.
    **Rainsticks from cardboard tubes. With thinner tubes, you can use
    push-type staight pins, beans and papier mache'.

    <<I'm teaching a recycled art class this summer and am looking for some
    fresh
    ideas. I did a search in the archives and it came up with over 25,000
    hits,
    so I was hoping to not have to try and sort thru them all! I'm teaching
    in
    2hr blocks for 5 days, middle school level so nothing too goofy or
    useless
    to them. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm going to do tin can
    luminaries
    and corrugated cardboard frames, what else would be fun?>>

    ---