Re: recycled art

From: Ted Beilby (tbeilby)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 04:39:20 PDT

    I would base everything with art and then pull other disciplines in more.
    1. Pure art as expression - let them have some time and materials to tell you about themselves
    2. art and the environment - ecology and recycling! Maybe paper making and writing letters to family
    3. art as a contribution to the community - have them do some thing for others - look around and see what needs to be done, it could be for the elderly, a center, a room, a yard
    it could be cleanup or planting a flower garden
    4. Read aloud good literature, then have then respond with their reaction by writing, drawing, making their own books
    5. take walks if their is a place for it nearby or get a bus and get to a place where they can walk safely
    6. spend more time studying a culture, you might have a tea ceremony, make costume...have a special lunchtime fun, picnic, let kids design a pizza
       I did a summer class all on Italy one year - so much fun, we made little mosaics, made clay vessels, and the most fun was making pasta noodles from scratch on the tables. Every two students worked together making pasta with my step by step instructions. One, wash the table real good, two make a bowl of flour on the table....and finally cleaning the table and setting down to eat what they had made. While the pasta rested we watched one of my favorite Italian chefs on a video, who sang to us in Italian, I boiled the pasta
    Everyday I put a new Italian word to use

    In all the assignments, Have fun!! Make it something you want to do

    Diane

    ---