Re: recycled art

From: D. L. Sterner (dsterner)
Date: Wed May 17 2000 - 20:30:26 PDT

    thanks for the insight - I am always looking for ways to use odd items.

    Fortunately, I have a cottage in a beach area outside of the city limits where I live (Buffalo to Angola, NY). I comb the beaches for drift wood and the kids love to create interesting sculptures and sand cast candles. My Dremel hobby tool gets a work out with sanding bit replacements, but the satisfaction is well worth the price - considering that the wood is free and I get a nice walk on the beach too!

    A plea for help! I am assigned a 5th grade class for a 6 week summer session. What do I do with the same kids all day? I am an art teacher - not a classroom teacher. I am dumbfounded as to what to do with the same kids all day. Anyone have any ideas, themes, or techniques for engaging a small group, 8 kids + an aide, with behavioral and learning disorders (the aide seems okay - no disorders that I can see) for the whole school day?
    I am a bit nervous teaching out of my discipline. Any help is appreciated.
    -=deb=-