Re: Italy

From: SANDRA ROWLAND (serowland)
Date: Wed May 17 2000 - 18:54:23 PDT

    Don't worry about carrying your passport around with you unless you are
    cashing travellers checks. We lived in Britian for 6 years and traveled
    quite a bit. Since the EC has come into effect, most countries don't
    even bother checking the passports when you enter the country. The only
    exceptions would be Britian is still religious about checking at the
    airport and once I did get to show it entering the Czech Republic. Don't
    expect to get a stamp in the passport either. Tell the students not to
    ask for one either. If you ask, then they use that as an opportunity to
    search every single piece of luggage. This is particularly true with
    group trips.
    Just try to blend in with the natives. Learn a bit of the language,
    dress appropriately for churches (no shorts, skimpy tops, etc.) I
    carried a dress in the hire car when we went to Malta for church visits.
    One of the natives stopped and laughed hysterically, but also told me
    she was glad I respected the church enough to care, unlike the other
    tourists. They do notice you! I remember noticing all the American
    tourists in Britian and cringing. Leave America at home! And enjoy!!
    Sandra in AL

    ---