trip precautions

From: San D Hasselman (kprs)
Date: Wed May 17 2000 - 17:24:28 PDT

    I agree with everyone about the fanny packs. I carry my passport under
    my clothing, and so do my students. They keep a few 'pennies' on the
    outside of their clothing (for soda, etc), but the rest is also in a
    money holder/passport holder under the clothing. They are also in charge
    of their own money, and budgeting for the 'tips' for the guides later
    on..they have got to take that responsibility. I carry a backpack with
    locks (because I schlep a first aid kit, extra juice, candy, guidebooks,
    umbrella, camera, hat, film,map, notebook and pen, everywhere). I make
    all of my students paint out the silly trip logos on their "free"
    backpacks, or bring another backpack. Nothing says "tourist" and "school
    group" more than those backpacks. I usually paint something like the
    eifel tower if we go to France on a white square that I have painted
    over the company's logo.

    Another 'safety' tip...when you get to your hotel(s), make sure you know
    where all the exits are...just in case of an emergency...I make sure the
    kids all know in a sort of "stewardess" way....of course they all think
    I'm nuts, but I want to make sure they know, in a "fire drill" sort of
    way.

    San D

    ---