Re: Italy

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz)
Date: Wed May 17 2000 - 17:14:15 PDT

    laurel@pure-guava.org.nz wrote:

    > > stuff safe from the pickpockets? I was going to use a "fanny pack" but was
    > > told you'd be spotted a mile away as an easy target with one of those. The
    > > "money belt" seems like it would be uncomfortable underneath your clothing.
    > > ANy comments???
    >
    > they sell these little purse/sack looking things at most travel
    > places.

    I second this suggestion. They are made by Eagle Creek, and mine has enough
    compartments for my passport, money, credit cards; it has a loop for a pen and
    comes with a little notepad, which I use all the time. It can be attached to your
    belt, or slung bandolier-style across your chest. If you are in a crowd gawking
    at something, you can tuck it inside your waist band. I also "casually" hold onto
    the strap while walking down the street. You don't want to look paranoid or look
    like a victim.

    It's best not to carry your passport while in town; have a good clear photocopy
    made of the page with your picture on it and carry that instead.

    > when taking a school group, i would suggest doling the money out to the
    > kids (each kid has their own envelope, stashed with the chaperone) <snip> it
    > puts more responsibility on you as the chaperone, but safer than kids carrying
    > around 100$ or sums they dont need to have on their person.

    I personally would not take responsibility for the students' money. Urge the
    parents to get them traveler's checks or an ATM card. You can get a much better
    exchange rate by withdrawing local currency from an ATM, anyway. If you somehow
    managed to lose the students' money, you would probably be held responsible for
    the loss by some parents.

    > <snip>. sometimes just buying the postcards
    > available (which generally have better pictures on them than i could ever
    > take anyway) is an easier route as well.

    Many sites also sell packets of slides, which are much cheaper than you would pay
    for film and processing. Check them carefully before buying for any color
    shifts. When you get them home, remove them from the plastic sleeves they came
    in, as the plastic can alter the color.

    Maggie

    ---