Re: recycled art

From: Betti P. Longinotti (wsfcs-art)
Date: Wed May 17 2000 - 15:00:04 PDT

    Deb,
    Interesting that you should post this. Each year we teach a theme unit
    in conjunction with a local contemporary art museum. This Spring we
    worked with their professional theme exhibition entitled "Life Cycles".

    The professional contemporary work incorporated themes of nature and
    metamorphosis as well as using found materials to create works of art.
    Our student exhibition in conjunction entitled, "Art: Recycle, Reduce,
    Re- Use", focussed on using non-traditional, and recyclable materials
    and/or themes of life cycle within nature.

    Students found all kinds of ways to break out. It was a great and
    colorful exhibit. Lots of three-dimensional works, which was a plus, as
    we don't usually have much opportunity to display these. Thus less in
    that realm is usually created. There were many collaborative artworks
    as well. It gave our art teachers alot of freedom to create with
    students in ways they generally do not. The professional curators of
    the museum and commented that some of the works could pass for adult
    'contemporary' works.

    Materials that I recall being used: soda cans, wire mesh, hand-made
    paper collages, sculptures from hosing material, sculptures made out of
    wood pulp and glue, trash, milk jugs, scrap pieces of wood, old shoes
    used as a collage/canvas, scrap pieces of glass, scraps of yarn and
    fabric, jewelry made out of nuts and bolts, and more.

    Our local newspaper came out and did a piece on the student exhibit
    which is difficult and rare for our area. The article was published on
    Earth Day, entitled "Art for the Earth", and that prompted a Tv
    interview with some of the student artists.

    You might be able to still find some information on the Life Cycles
    exhibit on SECCA's webpage, visit <www.secca.org>

    Hope this helps. Enjoy!

    Artfully yours,
    Betti P. Longinotti