Re: Something to say about I can't

From: Janjarreau
Date: Wed May 17 2000 - 14:49:54 PDT

    In a message dated 5/14/00 10:03:56 AM Central Daylight Time,
    serowland writes:
    <<
     My point is when a student says they can't or messed up. It's just
     impossible! Sometimes mistakes turn into great works of art. Can't is
     not a word in the art classroom!! Neither is mistake!
     Sandra in AL >>

    Sandra,
        This reminds me of a College class (basic design 1) I had. I transferred
    out of that college after 1 semester b/c the professor constantly said, "If
    you mess up, you will have to start over. If you get a smudge, wrinkle or go
    out of the lines, you will get counted off." I felt like I was in
    kindergarten. I am naturally a neat person when it comes to graphic work,
    but she down right stifled my creativity. I would not DARE do anything
    extra, only the basic assignment for fear I would mess up. She also made us
    use pen & ink from a well instead of the pens. Many kids would spill their
    ink at the midnight hour and have to start over on their project they had
    spent days on. I think maybe this is why I had trouble learning watercolor
    at my first attempts b/c I find now it is best to be free with watercolor. I
    have had to unlearn the controlled style of painting. Basically I had to
    learn to get painterly and now I love it.
    Janice

    ---