Papermaking

From: Heidi McElroy (hmcelroy)
Date: Sun Apr 30 2000 - 17:15:02 PDT

    Dear Friends,
            Thank you for all your responses to my papermaking inquiry. You are
    the greatest. I posted my inquiry, went to bed, woke up to 2 responses the
    next morning. I have decided to give my students a choice of projects from
    making a set of stationary... 6 sheets that are co-ordinated but different
    from each other ...a small decorated bowl formed over an existing bowl...or
    a landscape from their sketches that they create in handmade paper.
            My Art II's just finished subtractive sculpture in the round and I
    would like to share a tip that I discovered. They sculpted their hand or
    foot life sized or larger out a block of clay. While they worked on
    it...they covered it tightly with a plastic bag that groceries are sent
    home in and kept this inside a shoe box. The shoe boxes stacked easily
    taking up little space. They were labeled with the students names. The
    plastic bags kept the clay in the same state day after day. Nothing dried
    out. They didn't have the mess of damp clothes to keep the clay moist. We
    did start with blocks of clay that had just the right amount of moisture.
    Students had no problems finding their own work each day. The shoeboxes and
    the bags were recycled and free. What more could an art teacher want??? Oh,
    yes, I got good sculptures too!!! Heidi in VA.

    ---