Re: re; paper mache

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sidnie Miller (sidmill.us)
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 14:36:14 -0800 (PST)

That reminds me of when my mom had a boyscout troop and they made a
dinosaur head. She soaked paper scraps and then cooked up a giant
goop using the paper and flour and water. What an incredible mess
and then it took a month to dry. I would definitely not recommend
that style, although it would make the stuff work more like clay.
I just wad up giant papers that are lightly sticky--shape them and
hold them in place long enough to attatch them together in the right
place with goop wiped strips of paper. Once the kids get the idea that
every form you add needs to be bandaided on with strips they can make
anything. Since the pieces aren't really soggy, they will dry in a couple
of days so you can get fancy with details. One of my favorite assignments
for the kids is make a wearable piece out of paper mache that has a
moveable part. Their first reactions tend to be a beanie with a twirly
propeller top or glasses that fold up, but we've gotten some amazing
ones--like a fold-up fanny!!

# Sidnie Miller #
# Elko Junior High School #
# 777 Country Club Drive #