Re: Sidnie's DC workshop experience

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
S. Henneborn (heneborn)
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 23:20:31 -0600

Sidnie,

I felt a need to respond to your observation of the 2 hands-on workshops you
attended. I remember the descriptions of those jewelry workshops. I would
have been very angry if I had had that experience. I know what a potential
presenter must write to have a proposal accepted. I know what instructions
and information was sent to presenters. Perhaps the instructions should be
more specific and give some guidance on the ethics / etiquette of presenting.

We were given an allowance ( about 2/5ths of the cost of the tickets is the
allowance to cover shipping costs and materials purchased.) There is a room
to hold these supplies. This is a cost to NAEA. Also the cost of a large room
is not peanuts. I spent a lot of time finding sources for donating supplies.
You do need to provide more materials than will actually be used so there will
be choices for the participants. I spent time and money preparing and
printing a 25 page DBAE handout with a folder. I hope participants did not
look at the tools I brought as having been purchased from supply money and
taken home for my classroom. They came from my classroom originally. Another
expense is for the bellhop when all those boxes and visuals need to be moved
in and around and out of the hotel. I don't know if that is a reimbursable
expense. Because of donations I didn't need all my allowance. I drove so I
didn't need my shipping allowance. If I had had to ship and buy all my
supplies the allowance would not have been enough. My state conference has
made a change for the Fall conference which I think is for the better. They
will be asking for a separate materials fee so there will be no confusion. Do
you think people really think that all the money they pay for a workshop goes
to the presenter to spend for supplies?

There is no excuse for turning you loose with the supplies without any
guidance. Some art teachers do still teach that way. I inherited students
from such a teacher when they came to Middle school and it was a struggle on
their part getting used to instruction and objectives. They were way behind
the other students in skill development and resented the time I took to
prepare them for an activity.

Finally, the thing that annoys me when I am presenting is the person who
ignores the carefully written course description and pushes me to take the
material in a different direction.
For instance, the high school teacher who ignores the clearly stated
description that this material is directed toward entry level skills for
primary students and pushes to move on quickly to advanced skills which are
not in the description. That teacher wasted money and will go away unhappy
unless the group goes there together. Just had to get that off my chest.

I enjoyed the teachers in my workshop and thank them for their encouragement.
I hope they went away with an understanding of tessellation they will bring
back to their classroom. I put my address in the packet because I want
feedback and will offer support.

Sharon Henneborn
NJ