Re: Ceramic Set up

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
George Martin Rex (grex)
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 13:05:10 -0600

On 30-Mar-99, Cynthia Davies wrote:
>Hello Sidnie

>For the same reason, dealing with the plaster dust when making the molds,
>then when you have them they're bulky to store and sometimes heavy to
>carry, they chip and sometimes get into the clay. There are many
>alternatives from slings to beach balls.

>Bye for now
>Cynthia

The other problem with plaster, other than the dust, is that small chips of
plaster can get into clay objects. If they don't self distruct when fired they
become hidden land mines in the ware and even years later will absorb
moisture, expand and pop out the glazes surface. If you see a pit appear on a
surface check it and you may find a white center spot, yep plaster.

--

I\___/I I:Q:O:I I::V::I I:::::I \:::/ ===W=W=== Give a Hoot! Martin

  • Reply: George Martin Rex: "Re: Ceramic Set up"
  • Reply: George Martin Rex: "Re: Ceramic Set up"